Transgender Day of Visibility 2022
Today is Trans Day of Visibility!
Every March 31, communities around the world mark Trans Day of Visibility, celebrating trans and nonbinary and gender-nonconforming people who expand our understanding of the world and its possibilities.
CBST is particularly blessed to have many trans and nonbinary members, friends, colleagues, and teachers, and we hope you’ll take time today to enjoy the wealth of creativity, brilliance, and opportunities to take action that we’ve curated here.
Last Friday evening at Shabbat services, we were thrilled to welcome rabbinical student Ariel Tovlev to the bimah with a beautiful drashah for Trans Day of Visibility. If you missed it, we highly recommend hearing Ariel’s words of Torah today, and follow it with this collection of blessings for TDOV from several members of the extended CBST community.
- In 2019, Joy Ladin sat down with Rabbi Mike Moskowitz to talk about her most recent book, The Soul of the Stranger, and how her theology has been influenced by being trans and Jewish.
- During the 2021 Trans Jews Are Here Convening at CBST, musicians Mya Byrne and Fureigh shared songs and stories as “love letters to community.”
- Rabbi Leiah Moser has been a guest speaker at CBST several times, and for Trans Pride Shabbat in 2019, she taught about the tribes of Israel in the desert and The Golden Girls.
- Rabbi Moser also shared this beautiful drashah for Trans Day of Visibility at the 2019 Trans Jews Are Here Convening.
- Also in 2019, Seth Marnin shared this powerful drashah for Parshat Shemini, starting at 1:20.