A space for transgender, non-binary, gender non-conforming, and gender expansive people to build community and engage politically at CBST. Emet welcomes people who are questioning. Want to stay in touch about trans and non-binary Jewish programming at CBST? Contact us at email@example.com!
Trans Jews Are Here - A History of Inclusion at CBST
ARTICLES AND RESOURCES
Trans Jews are Here Convening Resources
The Trans Jews are Here convening brought together trans and non-binary Jewish individuals, including some of our very own spiritual leaders, artists, educators, performers, and more, to celebrate and explore the intersection of transgender identity and Jewish life.
- Trans Jews are Here: A Convening full program
- Trans Jews are Here: A Convening Kabbalat Shabbat - video
- Trans Jews are Here: A Convening Plenary with Rafi Daugherty, Masha Gessen, Abby Stein, and Dubbs Weinblatt - video
- Queer Midrashim from Rabbah Rona Matlow, including her midrash on Jacob that debuted at the convening
- Lev Yodea Marat Nafsho: Trans Bodies and Self-Determination in Halachah source sheet from Laynie Soloman
The Soul of the Stranger: Reading God and Torah from a Transgender Perspective,
Reading some of the best-known Torah stories through the lens of transgender experience, Joy Ladin explores fundamental questions about how religious texts, traditions, and the understanding of God can be enriched by transgender perspectives, and how the Torah and trans lives can illuminate one another. Available for purchase online and on site at CBST.
TransTorah helps people of all genders to fully access and transform Jewish tradition, and helps Jewish communities to be welcoming sanctuaries for people of all genders. Visit their website for more information and resources including blessings for transitioning gender, chest binding, trans and gender non-conforming weddings, pre-surgery mikveh ritual, and more.
Trans Day of Remembrance - 'A Memorial Prayer' by Rabbi Reuben Zellman
Rabbi Mike Moskowitz
Here at CBST, Rabbi Moskowitz studies, writes, and teaches on trans issues and Jewish sources, creating a body of work that Jews all over the world will be able to use. He will represent CBST, speaking and teaching on these topics in other communities. Email Rabbi Moskowitz at firstname.lastname@example.org and check out some of his articles below:
- What the Torah and Talmud Teach Us About Calling Transgender People By Their Names - Tablet (with Seth Marnin)
- The Torah of Action - My Jewish Learning
- I'm A Boy And These Are My Clothes - The New York Jewish Week