Rabbi Mike Moskowitz is a deeply traditional and radically progressive advocate for trans rights and a vocal ally for LGBT inclusivity. Raised as a secular Jew in Richmond, Virginia, he began identifying as Orthodox at 17 and spent the next 20 years learning and teaching in the world of yeshivahs. Rabbi Moskowitz received three Ultra Orthodox ordinations while learning in the Mir, in Jerusalem, and in Beth Medrash Gevoha, in Lakewood, New Jersey. His work on behalf of trans rights began while he served as the Rabbi of the Old Broadway Synagogue in Harlem and as the Aish NY Rabbi at Columbia University. Most recently,Rabbi Moskowitz was the senior educator for Uri L'Tzedek - Orthodox Social Justice.
Here at CBST, Rabbi Moskowitz studies, writes, and teaches on trans issues and Jewish sources, creating a body of work that Jews all over the world will be able to use. He represents CBST, speaking and teaching on these topics in other communities, including congregations, colleges, day schools, Jewish community centers, interfaith events, and academic conferences. To bring Rabbi Moskowitz to your community, contact him at email@example.com.
- Interfaith Leaders Stand up for Yes on 3 Campaign in Massachusetts - Medium (with Rev. Stephanie Kendell)
- Noah's Ark: A Failed Ally-Ship - Bayit Builder's Blog
- Sukkot, Security, and Transgender Rights - My Jewish Learning (with Seth Marnin)
- Rosh Hashanah: A Time For Divine Consent - The Jewish Orthodox Feminist Alliance Blog
- Coming of Age as Gender-Nonconforming - The Jewish Orthodox Feminist Alliance Blog (with Rabbi Yael Rapport)
- How Goodly Are Your (Rainbow) Tents - The Reform Judaism Blog (with Lizzie Stein)
- The Audacious and Inspirational Gift of Pride - Tikkun (with Reverend Dr. Amy Butler)
- 7 Ways Straight Jews Can Become Better LGBTQ Allies - The Forward (with Rabbi Yael Rapport)
- What the Torah and Talmud Teach Us About Calling Transgender People By Their Names - Tablet (with Seth Marnin)
- I'm An Orthodox Rabbi Marching With Pride - The Jewish Orthodox Feminist Alliance Blog
- Cisgender Humility And Accepting The Torah - The Jewish Orthodox Feminist Alliance Blog
- The Torah of Action - My Jewish Learning
- Rabbinic Responsibility for LGBT Jews
- I'm A Boy And These Are My Clothes - The Jewish Orthodox Feminist Alliance Blog
- One Straight, White Cis-Gender Rabbi's Role as an LGBTQ Ally - Auburn Theological Seminary
- Transgender and Transcendent - The Jewish Orthodox Feminist Alliance Blog
Rabbi Moskowitz in the News
- This Ultra-Orthodox Rabbi Says His Holiest Moment Was Becoming Public LGBTQ Ally - Here & Now (NPR)
- An Ultra-Orthodox Rabbi Comes Out for LGBTQ People - Jewish Boston
- Rabbi, transgender ally speaks at Hillel about trans rights - The Tufts Daily
- Rabbi Mike Moskowitz speaks on trans rights - The Williams Record
- Could transgender rights infringe upon religious rights? - Rabbi Moskowitz quoted by The Jewish Chronicle
- This Orthodox rabbi just took a job at an LGBT synagogue - JTA
- Orthodox Jews Start Prayer Protest Outside OU Office in New York, Angered by Its Support for Trump - Ha'aretz
- My Rabbi Was Arrested For Protesting On Capitol Hill, And He Has No Regrets - APlus
Listen to Rabbi Moskowitz on Tablet's Unorthodox podcast.
A Minute of Mussar
Elul is a special time to reflect on our relationship with G-d and each other. Mussar is the practice of being more aware and sensitive of how our actions effect those relationships. Rabbi Moskowitz shared a minute of Mussar every day during Elul on CBST's Facebook page. Find all of the videos with #ElulMussar.