Teen Track Grades 8-12: Civil Rights & 4-day Journey to The South
2021-2022 / 5782 (begins October 9, 2021)
REGISTER HERE for fall 2021
- In regular Shabbat sessions with CBST clergy, students will deepen their understanding of the history, struggles and the contemporary imprint of Black Americans to gain basic equality under law in the 1950s & 60s as well as discover how Jews were involved in the Civil Rights struggle. Engaging with this history through an intersectional lens will inform our learning about civil rights for people with disabilities, LGBTQ+ identities, and living documented or undocumented in the United States. Students will walk away understanding why Jews, as people who have known oppression, must care and act when others are oppressed.
- Central to our learning experience, will be our participation in Etgar 36, a trip through the South, including: Atlanta, Montgomery, and Selma. Visits include the Equal Justice Initiative Legacy Museum and Memorial to the victims of lynching, Freedom Park, the site where Leo Frank was lynched, the Rosa Parks Museum, the Martin Luther King Center/Auburn Ave. district, Ebenezer Baptist Church, walking across the Edmund Pettus Bridge, the 16th Street Baptist Church, and learn about the current fight against voter suppression.
- IN-PERSON classes once-a-month will take place at CBST from 1-2pm. All five Oct-Feb sessions are required to be eligible for the trip; absences will require a make-up that month.
- ONLINE or EXPERIENTIAL sessions will also take place monthly to enhance and provide texture for these profound subjects. For example, visiting Seneca Village which was razed for the building of Central Park and the Brooklyn Museum exhibits: Nick Cave: Truth Be Told, The Slipstream: Reflection, Resilience, and Resistance in the Art of Our Time, and more-more details TBA.
- TRIP attendance is not required in order to attend all other Teen Track classes (let us know on registeration form).
- Taught by CRRI Dave Yedid, CBST clergy, and guest educators each month and joined by Billy Planer Founder and Director of Etgar 36.
- Tuition of $2,400, includes all of the above (Pride month discount $2,200)
IN-PERSON Shabbat afternoon sessions (required)
2nd Saturday each month at CBST, 1:00-2:00 pm
10/9, 11/13, 12/11, 1/8, 2/12, 3/12, 4/9, 5/14, 6/11
ONLINE or EXPERIENTIAL Shabbat sessions
Usually the 4th Saturday each month, details TBD
10/23, 11/6*, 12/4*, 1/22, 2/26, 3/26, 4/23, 5/28, 6/25
*the 1st instead of 4th Shabbat due to holiday/vacations
CBST Civil Rights Teen Track Journey to The South
February 17-20, 2022 (Thurs-Sun)
Immediately before COVID lockdowns in March 2020, CBST students participated in a 4-day Religious Action Center Social Justice and Advocacy Program in Washington, D.C.! (photos below) Prior to the trip, the class met twice-monthly in-person; afterward, they continued to meet twice monthly online, until June 2020!