Registration is closed for the 2pm pre-action gathering at CBST, as we are at capacity. Please join us when we begin marching from CBST at 4pm to the action.
"Tisha B'Av, the ninth day of the month of Av, is the major day of communal mourning in the Jewish calendar. (My Jewish Learning)" On Sunday, August 11 at 2pm, join Congregation Beit Simchat Torah (CBST), T'ruah: The Rabbinic Call for Human Rights, Jews For Racial & Economic Justice (JFREJ), Romemu: Jewish Life, Elevated, Lab/Shul, Flatbush Jewish Center (FJC), SAJ – Judaism That Stands for All, Fort Tryon Jewish Center (FTJC), Malkhut, Kolot Chayeinu, and Never Again Action for a deeply Jewish observance of Tisha B'av - gather, learn, pray, and demonstrate our bold, spiritual resistance by protesting Amazon's ties to ICE and Homeland Security's current anti-immigration and asylum-seeker policies. We will take our collective mourning to Amazon’s doorstep and join our allies at Mijente & Make the Road New York to shut down and #DisarmICE. REGISTER NOW!
- 2:00 PM - We will gather at CBST, 130 West 30th Street (btwn. 6th & 7th ave), for communal ritual, deep learning, and preparation for the protest with sign-making.
- 4:00 PM - March from CBST to the #JewsAgainstICE Tisha B'Av Action.
- 5:30 PM - Return to CBST, cool off, debrief, and discuss ways to continue the resistance against ICE on behalf of immigrants' and asylum-seekers' rights.
- 7:00 PM - CBST Tisha B'av Mincha/Ma’ariv Service. All are always welcome to attend services at CBST, always without charge.
- 8:30 PM - Break-Fast. Advance registration required. $10 per person.
NOTE: In observance of the fast of Tisha B'Av, CBST will not be providing any food or water until the break-fast; those who will not be participating in or are exempt from fasting practices are asked to limit eating and drinking to the Kessler-Karp classroom out of respect for the community.
- Register now! This event is offered free of charge (except for the break-fast at $10/person), but please consider a contribution to help cover the costs of this event and support ongoing social justice work at CBST.
- Let us know how many adults, including yourself, and children will be attending.
- If you are attending the break-fast, list the number of people (total adutls and children) that will attend at $10/person.
- In the "NOTE" box, enter the names of all additional registrants besides yourself. If children are attending, please list their ages here.
- Let us know your instituional affiliation - what organization, or congregation, you belong to. If you belong to multiple, please list the organization from which you first heard about this event.
- Any questions? Contact Jkatz@cbst.org or (212) 929-9498 ext 876
Amazon and ICE
- "Amazon services are essential to the workings of agencies like ICE, Deborah Axt, co-executive director of Make the Road New York, an immigrant rights organization that participated in the protest, said. 'That’s why immigrants and allies have come together to make sure that Amazon is held accountable. We want them to stop profiting off our lives!' (The Guardian)"
- "Amazon employees are protesting the company’s support of Palantir, a data mining firm founded by Trump ally Peter Thiel. Palantir is an Amazon Web Services customer, and pays Amazon for use of its cloud computing network. Palantir’s software is used by ICE agents to start deportation proceedings. According to The Intercept, Palantir’s software pulls data from other government agencies, which is then used by ICE agents to investigate adults who want to sponsor unaccompanied children. And according to recent documents obtained by WNYC, a Palantir-built mobile app called FALCON Mobile, has been used in ICE workplace raids. (Forbes)"
#JewsAgainstICE Tisha B'Av Action Organizational Partners
Tisha B’Av: Jews Say #CloseTheCamps - National Action
This event is organized in solidarity with the "Tisha B’Av: Jews Say #CloseTheCamps" national action. "United We Dream, the largest immigrant youth-led community in the country, is asking allies to take action to close immigrant detention camps. Jewish organizations across the country — led by National Council of Jewish Women (NCJW), T'ruah, Bend the Arc: A Jewish Partnership for Justice, J Street, HIAS, Religious Action Center of Reform Judaism, Torah Trumps Hate, and Avodah — are organizing Jewish events on Saturday, August 10 and Sunday, August 11, 2019 on Tisha B’Av to #CloseTheCamps. Tisha B’av is a Jewish day of mourning, commemorating the destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem. We will use the saddest day on the Jewish calendar to mourn and resist the policies of our current government that are endangering, imprisoning, and deporting refugees and immigrants seeking safety. (http://bit.ly/NCJW-TishaBav)"