Beginning on Wednesday, May 8 at 6:00 pm, CBST will be launching its own weekly immigration clinic in partnership with Seeking Asylum and Finding Empowerment (SAFE) and New Sanctuary Coalition (NSC). This weekly clinic will focus on LGBTQ immigrants and assist people who are representing themselves (pro se representation) complete asylum applications and find out what additional legal services are available to them.
Introduction to Asylum Law: A CLE Course for Attorneys
CBST has been approved to offer an accredited New York continuing legal education (CLE) course for attorneys who are interested in volunteering at the clinic. On Monday, April 15 at 7:00 pm, CBST will be hosting “Introduction to Asylum Law” for 1.5 CLE credit hours in Areas of Professional Practice. This 90-minute CLE will provide an overview of the law of asylum, with specific reference to cases based on sexual orientation and gender identity. Topics to be covered include:
- Legal foundations of asylum claims and definition of asylum
- Past persecution and well-founded fear of persecution
- Asylum based on particular social group, with specific focus on sexual orientation- and gender identity-based social groups
- Bars to asylum
We are offering this course for free and ask that attorneys who take this course for credit commit to at least 10 hours of volunteering at CBST’s clinic.
Hands-On Clinic Training
In addition, if you plan on volunteering at the clinic, CBST will be hosting a hands-on clinic training with SAFE and NSC on Wednesday, April 24 at 6:00 pm.
1) Complete the form to input your name, email, phone and address.
2) Please check off the registration box for each of the events you plan on attending
3) If you are attending the CLE course, please also check off the Volunteer Commitment Box and use the Note Box below to indicate:
- Law School Attended
- Year of Graduation
4) Please consider a donation at your discretion to support our Sanctuary work.
Any questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com