Just Mercy Private Screening with CBST
Registration has closed for this event.
Building upon the work of the Just Mercy Book Club begun earlier this year, CBST's Ending Mass Incarceration team invites you for a private screening of the film adaptation of Bryan Stevenson's best selling book Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption at the AMC Empire 25 movie theater - 42nd Street, on Sunday, January 26 at 1pm. Following the film, we will enjoy light snacks over a discussion of the film.
"After graduating from Harvard, Bryan Stevenson heads to Alabama to defend those wrongly condemned or those not afforded proper representation. One of his first cases is that of Walter McMillian, who is sentenced to die in 1987 for the murder of an 18-year-old girl, despite evidence proving his innocence. In the years that follow, Stevenson encounters racism and legal and political maneuverings as he tirelessly fights for McMillian's life. (Google)"
Please Note: Seats are limited; seating cannot be accommodated beyond the first 45 registrants. $40 registration fee per person goes towards covering the costs of the theater rental and is not tax-deductiible, but please consider a contribution at your discretion to Social Justice programming at CBST. Additional contributions are tax-deductible. We will meet onsite at the theater in the lobby, more details TBA. No outside food or beverages can be brought into the theater or green room space. Beverages can be purchased at the concession stand. Light dessert snacks will be served after the film.
About the Just Mercy Book Club - Reading and discussing Bryan Stevenson’s book Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption. As a community of lifelong learners, we will educate ourselves through a congregation-wide book club, learning more about the historical thread that leads from slavery to Jim Crow to mass incarceration. To get involved, contact team Co-Chair Lee Goldberg at firstname.lastname@example.org
Here are several ways to get a copy of the book:
- Book Culture (local NYC independent book store): https://www.bookculture.com/book/9780812984965
- Barnes & Noble: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/justmercy-bryan-stevenson/1120199052?ean=9780812984965#/
- Better World Books (used copies available): https://www.betterworldbooks.com/product/detail/JustMercy--A-Story-of-Justice-and-Redemption-9780812984965
- Libraries often have waiting lists, but it’s worth checking your local branch at https://www.nypl.org/ or https://www.bklynlibrary.org/
- If you are unable to find an affordable copy, we have an anonymous donor who is generously making several copies available. Contact email@example.com to request one.
New York, NY 10036
|# of People Attending|
|Suggested Registration Fee|
|One Person Attending||$ 40.00|
|Two People Attending||$ 80.00|
|Three People Attending||$ 120.00|
|Four People Attending||$ 160.00|
|Other Contribution $|